From June 21st, 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT holds Exhibition "COLOR-HUNTING" directed by Dai Fujiwara.
Sea, sky, stars, plants...the colors in the natural world are infinite. However, many of the colors that touch our lives, whether they are mass production products or our virtual world inside our displays, are man-made colors predetermined by a color chart and color theory. Our life is surrounded by millions of colors and yet, many are based on predeterminded color variations; a completely different world compared to the color system of nature.
Exhibition director Dai Fujiwara invented "color-hunting," a design method inspired by his personal research of design. The act of capturing actual colors in the natural and urban environment and reproducing them on a piece of paper by mixing watercolors on the spot is literally "hunt" for color. Design rooted in color-hunting embraces the power to convey and spread meanings and stories of color to the people involved in the product making process and its users while also enriching our color environment.
This exhibition sheds light on the unknown possibilities of color revealed through color hunting while also introducing the achievements in color and design obtained through cooperations with researchers, corporations, and educational institutions from home and abroad. Please experience this creative world that starts from "color."
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT Exhibition "COLOR-HUNTING"
Directed by Dai Fujiwara
- June 21 - October 6, 2013
- 11:00-20:00 (Entrance until 19:30)
- General ¥1,000 / University Student ¥800 / High and Junior High School Student ¥500 / Ages 12 and under may enter for free
*¥200 discount for a group of over 15 people
*With a certification of disability, admission is free as well as that of an accompanying care-giver.
Click here for more discount information
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT
- Organized by:
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT, THE MIYAKE ISSEY FOUNDATION
- In association with:
- Agency for Cultural Affairs; Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, MINATO CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION
- Subsidized by:
- The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands
- Special Sponsor:
- Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd.
- Sponsored by:
- CAMPER, JIN CO., LTD.
- Supported by:
- ASAHI SHIGYO CO., LTD., IID, Inc., NTT DOCOMO, EPSON SALES JAPAN CORPORATION, ERCO Lighting Ltd., Canon Marketing Japan Inc., Joshibi University of Art and Design, TAKEO CO., LTD., HUAWEI, BenQ Japan Co., Ltd., YAMAHA CORPORATION (in random order)
- Exhibition Director:
- Dai Fujiwara
- Planning Associate:
- Cawaii Factory
- Production Support:
- Soichi Ito
- Graphic Design:
- Taku Satoh Design Office
- Space Design:
- DAIFUJIWARA AND COMPANY
- Sound Design:
- Masato Hatanaka
- Participating Creators:
- Tomohiro Akagawa, Koichi Iga (Color Universal Design Organization), Shigeru Ida, Taichi Inoue, Kayoko Ota, Masato Oshima, Keiko Goto, Jiro Komiyama, Takashi Kiriyama, Semitransparent Design, Hirozumi Takakusaki, Yoichi Nakajima, Mieko Naito, Nobuko Funaki, Irma Boom, MOTOKO, Shigeru Moroizumi, Kazuki Yamazaki, Yu Yamanaka, Asuka Yamamoto
- Participating Companies:
- KAWAI DYEING WORKS CO., LTD., CAMPER, SHINOHARA FURINHONPO, JIN CO., LTD., Soup Stock Tokyo, THE SAILOR PEN CO., LTD., TOKIWA PHYTOCHEMICAL CO., LTD., YAMAHA CORPORATION
- Participating Institutions:
- International Design Academy School of comprehensive Design, OMULA BEAUTY CREATES, Sado Municipal Niibo Elementary School, Joshibi University of Art and Design, TOHOKU UNIVERSITY OF ART AND DESIGN, HAL Tokyo College of Technology & Design, Bunka Fashion College, RIKEN, Aalto University, Hong Kong Design Institute, Parsons The New School for Design, Royal College of Art, Shih Chein University College of Design, University of Technology, Sydney (in random order)
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT Directors:
- Issey Miyake, Taku Satoh, Naoto Fukasawa
- Associate Director:
- Noriko Kawakami
Above information may change without notice.