21_21 DESIGN SIGHT holds an exhibition, "NEW PLANET PHOTO CITY - William Klein and Photographers Living in the 22nd Century -" from February 23, 2018. We welcome the photography critic and art historian, Toshiharu Ito, as the exhibition director. Ito is the author of many books about photos and art and he has also worked on the planning of exhibitions.
It will soon be two centuries since photography was invented. An astronomical number of photos have been produced in this period of nearly 200 years, along with innovations in technology and networks, drastic changes have occurred in their forms of expression, their production techniques, and the relationship between the creator and the recipient.
Leading 20th century photographer William Klein had a decisive influence on modern visual culture with his expression that went beyond genres such as photography, movies, design and fashion, and his works capturing the cities of the world, including New York, Rome, Moscow, Tokyo, Paris, etc.
In this exhibition, we introduce the city vision of Klein by a multi-projection, and the Japanese and Asian photographers trying to examine the cities and people of the 21st century with a fresh perspective and greatly transcend the frames of conventional photos. Please take a look at this new adventure in visual communication which attempts to depict the heartbeat of future photo cities toward the 22nd century.
- February 23 (Fri) - June 10 (Sun), 2018
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT Gallery 1 & 2
- Tuesdays (Except May 1)
- 10:00 - 19:00 (Entrance until 18:30)
*Special opening hours for Roppongi Art Night: May 26 (Sat) 10:00-23:30 (Entrance until 23:00)
- General ¥1,100 / University Students ¥800 / High School Students ¥500 / Junior High School Students and under may enter for free
Click here for more discount information
- Organized by
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT, THE MIYAKE ISSEY FOUNDATION
- In association with
- Agency for Cultural Affairs; Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry; MINATO CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION
- Subsidized by
- Embassy of France / Institut français du Japon, Ministry of Culture, Republic of China (Taiwan)
- Special Sponsor
- Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd.
- Sponsored by
- Sony Imaging Products & Solutions Inc.
- Supported by
- Canon Inc., Canon Marketing Japan Inc., JAPAN AIRLINES
- Exhibition Director
- Toshiharu Ito
- Space Design
- Takashi Nakahara
- Graphic Design
- Yuzo Kariya + Nao Kakuta (neucitora)
- Participating Creators
- William Klein, Naoki Ishikawa + Yasuhiro Morinaga, Kunihiko Katsumata, Shen Chao-Liang, Ayano Sudo, TAKCOM, Yuki Tawada, Sohei Nishino, Mina Park, Satoshi Fujiwara, Takahiro Mizushima, Sachigusa Yasuda
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT Directors
- Issey Miyake, Taku Satoh, Naoto Noriko Kawakami
- Associate Director
- Noriko Kawakami
- Manager of Programs
- Asako Saito
21_21 DESIGN SIGHT Pop-up store in DAIKANYAMA TSUTAYA BOOKS
21_21 DESIGN SIGHT Pop-up store in DAIKANYAMA TSUTAYA BOOKS will be open from March 1 to 29, in concert with the exhibiton.
It focuses on the publications of exhibition director Toshiharu Ito and photographers who participate in exhibition, with 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT original goods. Please stop by if you have the chance to be in the Daikanyama area.
Date: March 1 (Thu) - 29 (Thu), 2018
Venue: DAIKANYAMA TSUTAYA BOOKS (17-5 Sarugakucho, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo)