World-renowned architect, Frank Gehry has spent over half a century upending architectural norms and defying expectations. His works span from the stunning Guggenheim Museum Bilbao to attention-getting Fondation Louis Vuitton, which opened last year.
How does architecture nobody can copy - works that overwhelm those who see them, leaving a deep impression - come about? The exhibition director, Tsuyoshi Tane, draws out Gehry's "power of ideas," which enables him to change the world through his architecture. It also introduces Gehry's models born from designing, considering and redesigning again alongside the technology that is indispensable to realizing the ideas. In addition, through Gehry's own words, it also looks at the background behind the formation of ideas and how these ideas are translated through various processes to their realization all while reflecting the conviction and strong commitment of the architect.
The "Ideas" of architect Frank Gehry - sources of wonder, discovery, happiness, and emotion to the visitor - along with the stance of him working to achieve those demonstrate the enjoyment of thinking freely and inspiration to keep striving. This applies to architects and those working in construction as well as the many people involved in design and making things.
- October 16, 2015 - February 7, 2016
- Tuesdays (Except November 3), December 27 - January 3
- 10:00-19:00 (Entrance until 18:30)
- General ¥1,100 / University Student ¥800 / High School Student ¥500 / Junior High School student and under may enter for free
*¥200 discount for a group of over 15 people
*With a certification of disability, admission is free as well as that of an accompanying care-giver.
Click here for more discount information
- Organized by:
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT, THE MIYAKE ISSEY FOUNDATION
- In association with:
- Agency for Cultural Affairs; Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry; MINATO CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION, Embassy of Canada
- Subsidized by:
- U.S. Embassy, Tokyo; Tadao Ando Cultural Foundation
- Special Sponsor:
- Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd.
- Shinkenchiku-sha Co., Ltd., Window Research Institute, YKK AP Inc., UNION CORPORATION, Suzanne Blaug, William Erb
- Supported by:
- Vitra Co.,Ltd., Canon Inc., Canon Marketing Japan Inc., Getty Images Japan K.K.
- Exhibition Director:
- Tsuyoshi Tane (DGT.)
- In Cooperation with:
- Gehry Partners, LLP
- Planning Associate:
- Noriko Takiguchi
- Space Design:
- DGT. (DORELL.GHOTMEH.TANE / ARCHITECTS)
- Technical Direction:
- Yutaka Endo (LUFTZUG)
- Graphic Design:
- Lightning Design:
- Haruki Kaito
- Academic Support:
- Kobun Ito
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT Directors:
- Issey Miyake, Taku Satoh, Naoto Fukasawa
- Associate Director:
- Noriko Kawakami
- * The content above is subject to change without prior notice.