21_21 DESIGN SIGHT is pleased to announce the "Ikko Tanaka and Future/Past/East/West of Design" Exhibition starting from September 21.
Ikko Tanaka (1930-2002), one of Japan's most prominent figures in graphic design, was also an art director who focused on what he himself referred to as "the Future/Past/East/West of Design," as in carrying on tradition, looking into the future, and exchanging with countries to the East and West. Tanaka with his deep knowledge of Japanese civic culture such as Rimpa, Ukiyoe, and traditional performing arts, depicted these elements as visual expression in his modern creations.
This exhibition provides a colorful look into how his ideas expand and expressions find their landing space. The Exhibition Director for this show is Kazuko Koike, Creative Director, who has worked closely with Tanaka. We studied the vast numbers of works and documents left by the designer, positioning him as a promoter of visual expression unique to Japan, and introduce his work, mostly in the area of graphic design - the core of his artistic activities - along with original drawings, photographs, and other valuable archival materials. Through this, the exhibit will dive deeper into the life and work of Ikko Tanaka to explore how his ideas on design were executed and presented.
- "Ikko Tanaka and Future/Past/East/West of Design"
- September 21, 2012 - January 20, 2013
- Tuesdays (Except October 30, December 25), December 27 - January 3
- 11:00-20:00 (Entrance until 19:30)
- General ¥1,000 / University Student ¥800 / High and Junior High School Student ¥500/ Ages 12 and under may enter for free
* ¥200 discount for a group of over 15 people
* With a certification of disability, admission is free as well as that of an accompanying care-giver. Please refer to our INFORMATION page for more discount information.
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT
- Organized by:
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT, THE MIYAKE ISSEY FOUNDATION
- In association with:
- Agency for Cultural Affairs; Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry; Minato City, Japan Graphic Designers Association Inc., Tokyo Art Directors Club, TOKYO ILLUSTRATORS SOCIETY, Tokyo Type Directors Club
- Grant from:
- The Kao Foundation for Arts and Sciences
- Special Sponsor:
- Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd.
- Sponsored by:
- Ryohin Keikaku Co., Ltd., SEIBU & SOGO, TOKUSHU TOKAI PAPER CO., LTD., Morisawa Inc.
- Special Cooperation:
- DNP Foundation for Cultural Promotion, Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd.
- Supported by:
- TAKEO CO., LTD., ERCO Lighting Ltd., Canon Marketing Japan Inc., Tokyo Studio Co., Ltd., TOPPAN PRINTING CO., LTD., FRAMED*, Nakagawa Chemical Inc., MAXRAY INC., THE LOFT CO., LTD. (in random order)
- Exhibition Director:
- Kazuko Koike
- Exhibition Space / Graphic Design:
- Masaaki Hiromura
- Special Exhibit:
- Semitransparent Design, Issey Miyake+Reality Lab.
- Lighting Design:
- Haruki Kaito+Masanobu Takeishi / Akira Fukazawa / Junichi Kai
- Exhibition Space Design Cooperation:
- Nakamura Design Office
- Planning Associate:
- Tetsuya Ohta
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT Directors:
- Issey Miyake, Taku Satoh, Naoto Fukasawa
- Associate Director:
- Noriko Kawakami
Above information may change without notice.