21_21 DESIGN SIGHT holds "Motion Science" Exhibition starting June 19, 2015.
As the exhibition director, we welcome creator Seiichi Hishikawa, whose corporate TV commercials and opening visuals for national broadcaster NHK's historical drama series are attracting enthusiastic attention from both Japan and overseas.
Motion design is a form of art that has brought "movement" to expressions. The techniques of motion design have helped to spread vehicle control systems, map applications, communications technologies and SNS, supporting our stress-free, convenient daily lives. They also enable dynamic depictions in products, graphics and video images, creating even richer expressions that appeal to our sensibilities.
Today's creators manufacture products utilizing cutting-edge technologies while employing engineering techniques as well. Various moving tools that are indispensable to our lives, as well as their mechanisms, have come about from a series of research and experiments carried out by designers, artists and corporations. Seeing one's idea take shape and begin moving - the genuine joy of witnessing such moments may be said to represent the enjoyment of creating itself.
Motion Science exhibition offers visitors the opportunity to touch and observe the power of expressions that "movements" bring about. By understanding and experiencing their structures, visitors are able to perceive the enjoyment of manufacturing, and to reassess the relationship between design and progress in science and technology.
The various "moving" works introduced in the exhibition created through collaboration with companies, creators and students, use familiar materials and tools, and are sure to fuel our imagination. And, visitors will be able to experience the mechanism of motion through animation produced by DRAWING AND MANUAL led by Seiichi Hishikawa, showing the fundamentals behind movement.
- Exhibition "Motion Science"
- June 19 - September 27, 2015
- Tuesdays (Except September 22)
- 10:00-19:00 (Entrance until 18:30)
- General ¥1,100 / University Student ¥800 / High School Student ¥500 / Junior High School student and under may enter for free
*¥200 discount for a group of over 15 people
*With a certification of disability, admission is free as well as that of an accompanying care-giver.
Click here for more discount information
- Organized by:
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT, THE MIYAKE ISSEY FOUNDATION
- In association with:
- Agency for Cultural Affairs; Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry; MINATO CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION, Embassy of Switzerland, German Embassy
- Subsidized by:
- The Swiss Arts Council Pro Helvetia
- Special Sponsor:
- Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd.
- Supported by:
- ORIENTAL MOTOR Co., Ltd., KOKUYO S&T Co., Ltd., SEIREN CO., LTD., DKSH Japan K. K., Nihon Unisys, Ltd. (in random order)
- Exhibition Director:
- Seiichi Hishikawa
- Planning Associate:
- Dominick Chen
- Academic Adviser:
- Takashi Kiriyama
- Production Support:
- DRAWING AND MANUAL
- Graphic Design:
- Masayoshi Kodaira
- Lightning Design:
- Haruki Kaito
- Space Design Support:
- Mitsuyoshi Miyazaki (HAGI STUDIO)
- Participating Creators:
- Atelier OMOYA, Mai Ikinaga + Hitoshi Azumi, So Kanno + yang02, Ryo Kishi, Ryota Kuwakubo, Hiroshi Koi (HAKUHODO i-studio/HACKist), Zimoun, Tatsuya Narita, Taro Suzuki, PANTOGRAPH, Nils Völker, Shohei Fujimoto, Mari Numakura, Euclid (Masahiko Sato + Takashi Kiriyama)
- Participating Institutions:
- NTT Communication Science Laboratories, Tohoku Institute of Technology, Mercedes-Benz Japan Co., Ltd.
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT Directors:
- Issey Miyake, Taku Satoh, Naoto Fukasawa
- Associate Director:
- Noriko Kawakami
- * Please note that starting with this exhibition opening hours and some admission charges will be changed.
- * The content above is subject to change without prior notice.