21_21 DESIGN SIGHT is pleased to announce a new exhibition, Irving Penn and Issey Miyake: Visual Dialogue opening to the public on September 16, 2011. The exhibition will focus on the collaborative work of legendary photographer, Irving Penn and renowned designer, Issey Miyake.
Issey Miyake's first encounter with Irving Penn was in 1983. On assignment for American Vogue, Penn photographed Miyake's clothing for an editorial feature. The perspective in these photographs startled Miyake as he suddenly saw his designs through a totally new set of eyes. As a direct result, Miyake asked Penn to photograph his designs.
Over the next 13 years, from 1987 through the Autumn/Winter Collection of 1999, Irving Penn photographed the ISSEY MIYAKE line's biennial collections. Miyake never attended the photo sessions but instead chose to entrust the vision of his clothes entirely to Penn. The unusual decision to offer Penn complete freedom gave rise to an incredible "visual dialogue" between the two artists. The creative pulse of Penn and Miyake's unique collaboration had a lasting effect on their artistic visions. In the end, Penn made over 250 photographs of Miyake's designs, many of which appear in collection posters, were published in art books, or exhibited in museums and cultural institutions.
This exhibition features the collaborative work of Irving Penn and Issey Miyake put together under the direction of Miyake's trusted colleague, Midori Kitamura, who assisted in their collaborative process throughout. Its aim is to provide a unique window on this unusual creative collaboration, or "visual dialogue"; and an opportunity to reflect on the power of imagination.
- Exhibition "Irving Penn and Issey Miyake: Visual Dialogue"
- September 16, 2011 - April 8, 2012
Closed on Tuesdays (Except Nov. 1, Mar. 20), Dec. 27-Jan. 3
- 11:00-20:00 (Entrance until 19:30)
＊Along with the ROPPONGI ART NIGHT program, 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT will be opening until 22:00 pm on 3.24(Sat.). (Entrance until 21:30 pm)
- General ¥1,000 / University Students ¥800, High and Junior High School Students ¥500 / Ages 12 and under may enter for free
(¥200 discount for a group of over 15 people)
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT (Tokyo Midtown Garden)
9-7-6 Akasaka Minato-ku, Tokyo JAPAN
Tel. +81(0) 3-3475-2121
- 5 min. walk from Roppongi station on the Toei Oedo Line / Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line and Nogizaka station on the Chiyoda Line
- Organized by:
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT, THE MIYAKE ISSEY FOUNDATION
- In cooperation with:
- The Irving Penn Foundation
- In association with:
- Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry; Tokyo Metropolitan Government, Minato City
- Subsidized by:
- U.S. Embassy, Tokyo
- Special sponsor:
- Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd.
- Sponsored by:
- SEIREN CO., LTD., A-net Inc., ISSEY MIYAKE INC.
- Supported by:
- Canon Inc., Canon Marketing Japan Inc., ARTEK, MAXRAY INC., OPTICAL SOLUTIONS CORPORATION
(in random order)
- Exhibition Director:
- Midori Kitamura
- Michael Crawford
- Pascal Roulin
- Exhibited Poster Design:
- Ikko Tanaka
- Installation Design:
- Shigeru Ban
- Graphic Design:
- Taku Satoh
- Coordination (U.S.):
- Jun Kanai