21_21 DESIGN SIGHT will hold an exhibition entitled "Wild: Untamed Mind," from October 20, 2017. Shinichi Nakazawa, a philosopher and anthropologist will be the Exhibition Director. Nakazawa is known for fieldwork-based, interdisciplinary research into various places and times.
The base of our culture and life, Nakazawa maintains, lies in the "untamed mind." This mind affects both human instinct and intellect, and it is the trigger and stimulant for creativity. A good example is found in Kumagusu Minakata, a famous Japanese naturalist in the Meiji Era. Minakata repeatedly generated discoveries and inventions, not coincidental, but somehow interconnected. He left his mark across fields as diverse as the study of mould, and of human mythology and folklore. The leaps in understanding typified by his work are seen repeatedly through many examples in the history of expression and creativity.
Even in the contemporary age, which tends towards logic and reason, the perceptions of the "untamed mind" are not quite lost. Nakazawa states that those parts of our mental space which have escaped taming are ever more important.
What does the "untamed mind" mean in today's context? How can people rediscover it within themselves? How can they understand and express its previously-undetected qualities? This exhibition focuses on the fascinating power of the instinctive, untamed mind of contemporary creators, unveiling how to detect the "untamed mind" through their works and archives.
- October 20 (Fri), 2017 - February 4 (Sun), 2018
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT Gallery 1,2
- Tuesdays, December 26 - January 3
- 10:00 - 19:00 (Entrance until 18:30)
- General ¥1,100 / University Student ¥800 / High School Student ¥500 / Junior High School Student and under may enter for free
¥100 discount with a ticket (or a stub) of "TADAO ANDO : ENDEAVORS" at the National Art Center, Tokyo. (September 27 - December 18, 2017) (Only one person. Unavailable other discount at the same time)
Click here for more discount information.
- Organized by
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT, THE MIYAKE ISSEY FOUNDATION
- Special Sponsor
- Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd.
- Supported by
- Minakata Kumagusu Museum Foundation; Minakata Kumagusu Archives; Institut pour la Science Sauvage, Meiji University
- Exhibition Director
- Shinichi Nakazawa
- Planning Associate
- Natsumi Nozawa (Institut pour la Science Sauvage, Meiji University), Yoshinao Yamada
- Production Support
- Noriko Kawakami
- Exhibition Graphic Design
- Tsuguya Inoue
- Space Design Support:
- teco (Chie Konno, Rie Allison)
- Participating Creators
- Mika Aoki, Tsuguya Inoue, Katsumi Omori, Stephanie Quayle, Seitaro Kuroda, Kotobuki Shiriagari, Yasuhiro Suzuki, Seizo Tashima, Fumio Tachibana, Yusuke Nishimura, Takuya Watanabe and others