From March 15, 2019, 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT will be hosting an exhibition entitled "SENSE OF HUMOR." Katsumi Asaba, an art director who continues to lead the times, will serve as exhibition director.
To Asaba, who has encountered many people and things in his journeys around the world, humor in one of most important senses in communication.
Asaba has spent years tickling the minds of people in his work as a graphic designer, and in directing this exhibition, he has gathered documents and found objects that have inspired him, along with the works of designers and artists who share his sense of humor and put them under a single roof.
From the valuable things, to that whose value has yet to be found, from the manmade to that which nature gave birth to, this exhibition aims to show that by looking at shapes and expressions of humor from across ages and borders, we can rediscover the humor that surrounds us in our day-to-day lives. The sense of humor could be called part of the essence of communication that is vital for design and creativity.
- March 15 (Fri) - June 30 (Sun), 2019
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT Gallery 1 & 2
- Tuesdays (Except April 30)
- 10:00 - 19:00 (Entrance until 18:30)
*Special opening hours for Roppongi Art Night: May 25 (Sat) 10:00 - 23:30 (Entrance until 23:00)
- General ¥1,100 / University Students ¥800 / High School Students ¥500 / Junior High School Students and under may enter for free
Click here for more discount information
- Organized by
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT, THE MIYAKE ISSEY FOUNDATION
- In association with
- Agency of Cultural Affairs; Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry; MINATO CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION
- Special sponsor
- Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd.
- Supported by
- GREEN DISPLAY Co., Ltd.; DNP Foundation for Cultural Promotion
- Exhibition Director, Graphic Design
- Katsumi Asaba
- Planning Associates
- Norio Nakamura, Koichi Suzuno / TORAFU ARCHITECTS, Keiko Kamijo
- Participating Creators
- Zin Akaki, anothermountainman (Stanley Wong), Ron Arad, Haru Asaba, Shigeo Fukuda, Jianping He, Katsuhiko Hibino, Tsuguya Inoue, Kuniyoshi Kaneko, Yoji Kuri, Tommy Li, Norio Nakamura, Shobei Tamaya, Mami Ueno, Dean Poole, Damien Poulain, Saito P Hirohisa, Makoto Wada, Kohei Watanabe, John Wood and Paul Harrison, and other
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT Directors
- Issey Miyake, Taku Satoh, Naoto Fukasawa
- Associate Directors
- Noriko Kawakami