21_21 DESIGN SIGHT's exhibition "The Year 2121: Futures In-Sight" will open on 21 December, 2021. The exhibition director is Michiaki Matsushima, an editor who has published numerous books and magazines, all revealing his interest in issues relating to the future. His perspectives consider how technologies bring change to our cultures and styles of living.
The term "20/20 vision" is used in English to denote perfect sight. The name, 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT refers to our wish to provide a place where people can look far into the future. One hundred years from the opening of this exhibition will fall in the year 2121. Our concept is to ponder how the world will look in a year which is coincidentally also the name of this institute.
Since ancient times, humankind has made predictions and prophecies about the future, whether tomorrow's weather, or the prosperity of the nation. We have recently gained more confidence in the process, thanks to the detailed and elaborate prognoses now available via advancing technology of analysis and measurement of information. Yet, in every case, from the very beginning of time, 'the future' has been more than just an extension of the past.
The experience of global pandemic has brought drastic and widespread changes to our life-style, communication methods and sense of community, as well as to people-values and general ways of thinking. It has brought home to us how unpredictable the future really is.
This exhibition employs a tool called "Future Compass" to trigger ideas about the future. We use it to visualize perspectives on a future which is already present today, and which can be uncovered through our contemporary behavior and creativity. We have engaged a range of participants, from designers, artists and thinkers, to engineers and scholars, who provide their own perspectives on the future. These ideas have been generated from the act of pondering timelines, whether familiar or yet unknown. The participants' ideas constitute the exhibition content, which will multiply into future forms, like flourishing plants.
The Exhibition takes the stance of "thinking about the future," to provide opportunities for nurturing rich insights into how we might create a tomorrow through the medium of design.
- December 21 (Tue), 2021 - May 8 (Sun), 2022
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT Gallery 1 & 2
- Tuesdays (Except December 21, May 3), December 28 - January 4
- 10:00 - 19:00 (Entrance until 18:30)
*Depending on circumstances, advance reservations may be necessary.
- General ¥1,200 / University Students ¥800 / High School Students ¥500 / Junior High School Students and under may enter for free
Click here for discount information
- Organized by
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT, THE MIYAKE ISSEY FOUNDATION
- In Association with
- MINATO CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION
- Special Sponsor
- Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd.
- Supported by
- Nakagawa Chemical Inc.
- Exhibition Director
- Michiaki Matsushima
- Graphic Design
- Yuri Uenishi
- Space Design
- Takashi Nakahara
- Planning Associate
- Nanae Mizushima, Kentaro Hirase
- Digital-Contents Design
- Participating Creators
- Ryuta Aoki, Rumi Ando, e-lamp. (Ayumi Yamamoto), Rin Ishikawa, we＋, evala, Momona Otsuka (WHY), Tomohiro Okazaki, Lena Okajima, Tomo Kihara, Qosmo × The Asahi Shimbun Company Media R&D Center, Taku Satoh, Synflux, Ayako Suwa, Habitat Building History, Tokyo University of the Arts Sputniko! Lab (M2: Emi Iwado), Rikako Nagashima, PARTY, HUMAN AWESOME ERROR, Tamae Hirokawa, Naoto Fukasawa, Masatoshi Funabashi, Placy, Masataka Hosoo, mui Lab and others
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT Directors
- Issey Miyake, Taku Satoh, Naoto Fukasawa
- Associate Director
- Noriko Kawakami
- Program Director
- Tatsuya Maemura
- Program Manager
- Takako Nakahora